Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Birthdays, The Crooked Tree Gallery, New INK! (and, is that a Vagina?)


About ten years ago, [Edit - now that I think about that more, I think it was more like 12 or 13 years ago] shortly after we'd moved to Orlando, I got a tattoo on my arm sporting mine and my ex-husband's names. Seemed like a fitting idea at the time. I think that I got it on my birthday weekend back then. It seems so long ago now.

I got a cover up tattoo for it on my birthday week this year while I was visiting home in Indiana. It wasn't until I was in the chair having it done that I realized it was also the week of the one year anniversary of the finalization of our divorce. I didn't plan any of that, but after I realized it, it also seemed very fitting that I was getting it covered up in Indiana where it had all began.

A good friend of mine had gotten work done at The Crooked Tree Gallery. I like going to a tattoo artist that has done work on someone that I know personally, so that is why I decided to go there while I was in Evansville. A married couple, Samantha and Jarred Scott recently opened this shop, and I highly recommend this place if you are looking to get some work done in Evansville, Indiana.

I did not have a specific tattoo that I wanted to get over the original tattoo. I just knew that I wanted pretty, colorful flowers, and that I wanted a sunflower in it. I set up my appointment a few weeks before my trip. I called them and they had me send them a message via their facebook page with my information including a picture of my original tattoo and a few examples of different concepts that I liked for the cover up. Samantha was the one that my friend had went to, so I set my appointment with her.

Below is my original tattoo that I had done at a place on Orange Avenue in downtown Orlando. I don't think it is there any longer, I think it's now a restaurant. It was not the greatest of work, by any means. I did love it, at one point in my life, none the less. But, over the years it had faded and become distorted and it was hard to even read my name on it. Over this last almost two years, I'd grown very tired of people asking what it said. I was very glad to finally be able to have it covered.



I had sent Samantha three examples of different concepts that I liked. Once I was there, after evaluating the original tattoo in person, while looking at the three different examples that I had sent, she drew my new tattoo on my arm, free-hand, and she incorporated everything that I liked about all 3 of them.





I loved it. And I loved it even sooo much more after it was filled in and complete.






Here is one I took myself one morning a couple of days later after it had healed up a bit..


One of my sisters went with me when I went to get it done. [It was her first 'tattoo experience,' ever. And I'm so glad that her first experience was at the Crooked Tree Gallery!] Samantha and Jarred are both great. And, like I said, I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get any work done. Their personalities and the overall experience, cleanliness and atmosphere of their shop is a big THUMBS UP!

While I had been sitting in the chair after she'd been filling in the color on my new tattoo for quite some time, I finally asked Sam, "Is that a VAGINA?" I was referring to a framed picture that was hanging on the wall in front of me. (It was a simple outlined sketch.) She confirmed, Yes, yes that is a vagina, and went on to tell of a story of some friends of hers that had visited the Museum of Sex in New York. In the gift shop, there was a coloring book of nothing but vaginas. And for whatever reason, they thought it fitting to get one for her. She'd decided to frame one of the pages and hang it up on the wall. [A great conversational piece, I must say!] My sister then said she had also been looking at it, wondering if that's what it was, but that it reminded her of when she was in the girl scouts. [Que uproarious laughter from Misty.] (It looked like two caves, and a person peeking out of the cave, or something to that affect, which is what reminded her of girl scouts... the "CAVE" part, not the vagina part.) The conversation was very funny. (I'm not going to link the Museum of Sex, but if you are so intrigued, I'm sure you know how to use Google.)

Needless to say, the vagina conversation made the man that was getting some tat work done by Jarred nearby rear his head up to see what the heck all this talk about vaginas was all about.

Check them out!

The Crooked Tree Gallery Facebook Page

The Crooked Tree Gallery Official Website

If I ever want to get some more work done, I will make sure to plan it during a trip back to Evansville!

No comments:

Post a Comment