Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fried Chicken Livers, a "REAL" Stromboli, and a SKI Margarita? Yes, please.



I had such a good trip home to Indiana a couple of weeks ago. My youngest son, Chance, and I had went for a visit back in September last year over labor day weekend for just a few days. It was a nice trip also, but it was very short, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my family. But, Chance got to visit with his Dad and that side of the family for a few days, and I did get to see my family, so it was still all good.

Just days after we arrived back home from that trip, I bought a ticket for me to go back in April for the week of my birthday. My Mom who raised me is getting up in years; she turned 88 in January; and I'd resolved to try to go back and visit at least twice a year if I can. And, it was my birthday present to myself. An entire week this time; I flew in on Friday, April 8th and flew back on the following Friday, April 15th. Though it was a full week and I got to spend a lot of time with my family, it still went by very fast (as I assumed that it would.) Even so, it was time well spent and a very enjoyable seven days. I even got to have a nice lunch with my former Mother-in-law and Aunt-in-law. I had missed them greatly, and It was very nice to be able to spend a little time with them.

I met them at the beginning of my visit at place called the Crossed Eyed Cricket in Evansville. I had never been there before, but I liked it so much that I ended up going there two more times after that during the week, with others. When I was there for lunch with them, I got the fried chicken livers. Another day, I met my two sisters for lunch, with my Mom. I, again, had the fried chicken livers. What can I say, I like fried chicken livers. They. were. fantastic. I am a country girl, after all. They had a very wide menu available, however. My one sister had meatloaf, the other had chicken teriyaki. The last day that I was in Indiana, before flying out, my long time friend, Stephanie, and I went there again for breakfast. [No, I didn't get chicken livers for breakfast, but my eggs and hash browns and bacon were delicious.] It happened to be Stephanie's wedding anniversary that day. She remembered while we were eating that she had been there ON her wedding day. Though, after they'd ordered food, her Mother told her they had to leave to get to Stephanie's hair appointment on time, so she didn't even get to eat that day. (I think we made up for that day during our breakfast, we were both stuffed when we left.)

Another family dinner that we had with some other family members was at The Log Inn. Yes, I got fried chicken livers, again. And, again, they were delicious. I also got their fabulous strawberry pie. (And the helpings were so awesome, the next morning, I had fried chicken livers and strawberry pie for breakfast.) You can't order fried chicken livers just anywhere here in Florida, so I was just trying to get my fill while I was at home.

Me, baby Lydia, my cousin Erin (Lydia's Mama) and my Mom, at the Log Inn.


Another place I met family for lunch while I was in town was St. Phillip's Inn. I was a cook at St. Phillip's Inn many years ago. I started working there as a cook right after I went back to work after having my oldest boy in 1993 and worked there for three years until I was four months pregnant with my second boy. In Florida, you just can't get a "real" stromboli. (They also have great fried chicken livers, but not on the lunch menu or else I probably would have gotten them, too!) I ALWAYS have to go to St. Phillip's Inn at least once while I am at home visiting. It never seems to change, and I love that.



Another thing I had while we were at St. Phillip's Inn was a SKI. Unless you are from the southern Indiana/Tri-State area, you have probably never heard of a Ski, but it is a lemon/lime soda that is only distributed in this area. And, like fried chicken livers and strombolis, it is something that I have to have while I am back home, simply because you just can't get it in Florida.

Oh! and the Hacienda on the west side of Evansville has SKI MARGARITA's! We went there to eat one day, too. Good Lord. Yes, Please. My sister and I shared a pitcher. The food was very good, also, of course.

I ate at some other places, too, but these are the places I went to while I was visiting home that stand out in my mind.

Evansville, Indiana...
Good times. Good food. Good drink. Good memories.












No comments:

Post a Comment